Three people were hurt when a northern California commuter train plowed into a pickup truck that jumped the tracks after smashing through a protective fence, according to reports Tuesday.
About 45 passengers were on the northbound Bay Area Rapid Transit train when the incident unfolded around 11:35 p.m. Monday in Oakland, a BART spokesperson told Bay City News.
"We were on our way to the city, all of a sudden the train started acting erratically kind of like it was bouncing around on the tracks," rider Patrick McCue told ABC7 News.
"Then I saw a bunch of sparks along the window and felt a big collision, then the train came to a stop, people were talking about something was on fire. Everyone was saying for us to move to the front of the train."
- Survivors of India Train Crash Describe Hellish Scene of Crumpled Cars, Twisted Tracks and Dead Bodies
- What to Know About Suspect Who Crashed Into White House With Nazi Flag in Truck
- Devastating Indian Train Crash Caused By Signal Failure, Officials Say
- Criminal Probe Sought Into Possible ‘Deliberate Interference’ in Deadly Indian Train Crash
- Indian Official Says Train Track Signaling Was ‘99.99% Error Free’ Before Crash
The train's operator was transported to a local hospital following the crash between the Coliseum and Lake Merritt stations, BART spokesperson James Allison said.
A passenger was also reportedly injured but it was unclear if that person was also hospitalized.
Oakland cops treated the pickup driver at the scene and administered a sobriety test.
The results weren't immediately released but video shot at the scene showed an unidentified person in custody, ABC7 said.
Service was suspended between Lake Merritt and Coliseum so workers could repair the damage caused by the crash, with normal operations expected to resume in time for the morning rush.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- New York Air Quality is Currently the Worst of Any Major City in the WorldNews
- Newly Discovered Dinosaur Species in Utah Believed to Be 99 Million Years OldNews
- Canadian Wildfires: How They Started and When the Smoke Will ClearNews
- Father of 4 Dies After Saving Son From Rip Current on Daughter’s BirthdayNews
- Juarez Offers to Pay Half the Cost of Bus Tickets Home for Migrants Gathered ThereNews
- NYC Suing 30 Other New York Counties Over Refusal to Take MigrantsNews
- Wildfires Increase Heart Attack Risk, Other Cardiovascular ConditionsNews
- Pride Month Plans Trigger Violent Brawl and Arrests at California School Board MeetingNews
- Woman Glues Eye Shut After Mistaking Nail Glue For EyedropsNews
- Yankees-White Sox, Phillies-Tigers Games Postponed for Air QualityNews
- The Destruction of a Ukrainian Dam Is a Catastrophe – But What Was the Point?News
- ChatGPT Outperforms Alexa, Siri and Other Competitors in Providing ‘Expert’ Medical AdviceNews