China Now Has Six Warships in the Middle East: Reports
The move comes as the US deployed the USS Gerald R Ford, the the largest aircraft carrier ever built, to the Eastern Mediterranean
According to reports, up to six Chinese warships are currently stationed in the Middle East region.
The China’s People’s Liberation Army (CPLA) reported engagement in a joint military exercise with the Omani navy while visiting Oman earlier this week, and then moved to Kuwait to spend a "five-day goodwill visit."
“After successfully concluding its visit to Oman, the 44th Chinese naval escort taskforce arrived at Shuwaikh Port, Kuwait, as planned, on the morning of October 18, for a five-day goodwill visit," the Chinese Ministry of Defense wrote in a statement.
The South China Morning Post reported that the 44th escort task force "has been involved in escort missions for shipping since arriving in the Gulf of Aden north of Somalia six months ago," but was relieved of that duty by the 45th escort task force earlier this month.
According to the news outlet, the warships still in the region include the Zibo, a Type 052D guided-missile destroyer, the frigate Jingzhou and the supply ship Qiandaohu.
China's moves come at a time of conflict in the region, as the Israel-Hamas war enters its third week.
- What’s Next for Israel and America in the Middle East?
- China Stands to Win From the Israel-Hamas War
- Pentagon Considers Deploying Marine Regiment to Middle East as Israel-Hamas War Rages (Exclusive)
- Russia’s Putin Warns Conflict in Israel and Gaza Could Spread Beyond Middle East
- CIA Director Arrives in Middle East Amid Israel-Hamas War
- Schumer Calls on China to Back Israel Following Hamas Attacks
China’s president, Xi Jinping, said the top priority for Israel and Hamas should be “a ceasefire as soon as possible, to avoid the conflict from expanding or even spiraling out of control and causing a serious humanitarian crisis," he said according to reports from The South China Morning Post.
The move comes as the U.S. deployed the USS Gerald R Ford, the largest aircraft carrier ever built, and the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower to the Eastern Mediterranean to the region.
Additionally, the U.S. is sending the USS Normandy cruiser and destroyers USS Thomas Hudner, USS Ramage, USS Carney and USS Roosevelt. It also is providing Air Force F-35, F-15, F-16, and A-10 fighter aircraft squadrons in the region, according to The Associated Press.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews