Chicago Mom Sues Son’s High School After He’s Cut From Varsity Basketball Team: Report - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Chicago Mom Sues Son’s High School After He’s Cut From Varsity Basketball Team: Report

Erin Savage said her son's not making the team was retaliation for his filing a complaint against the previous coach for 'verbal abuse' and 'bullying'

Hinsdale South High SchoolHinsdale South High School Foundation

The mother of a basketball player at a suburban Chicago high school is suing the school system after her son, who played two years on the varsity team, was cut from the squad, claiming it's in retaliation for his speaking out about a previous coach's bullying, according to a report. 

Erin Savage brought the lawsuit against the Hinsdale Township High School District and several Hinsdale South High School employees to have her son, Brendan Savage, reinstated to the boy's basketball team, the Chicago Sun-Times reported on Monday. 

She claims Hinsdale South coach Michael Belcaster cut her son from the varsity team because he filed a complaint in May about the previous coach, Michael Moretti, alleging verbal abuse, bullying and humiliation.

Brendan had previously played on the varsity team as a sophomore and junior and was named to the all-conference team both years.

‘‘I’ve never filed a lawsuit before,’’ Erin Savage told the Sun-Times.

‘‘Our six kids have been involved in approximately 31 varsity sports at the high school. I’ve never complained about a coach. But we’ve also never encountered [someone] who thinks he can do whatever he wants. That was [Moretti].’’

Belcaster was the sophomore coach under Moretti last season, the outlet reported.

"This is more than just about him being cut from the basketball team,’’ her attorney, Steven Glink, told the newspaper.

‘‘This is about what I feel is retaliation of his First Amendment rights. He spoke out against the coach. They substantiated it. The coach got demoted. He tries out for the team, he’s all-conference as a sophomore and junior and now he doesn’t make the team as a senior? That doesn’t pass the smell test in my book," he said.

After Brendan filed the complaint against Moretti on May 7, the school district responded the next month, saying an investigation concluded ‘‘the preponderance of the evidence does not substantiate that Mr. Moretti bullied your son in violation of Board Policy.’’

"The investigation did substantiate that Mr. Moretti’s interactions and communication with your son have been inappropriate and inconsistent with the high standards of professionalism expected of all employees under Board Policy," the letter continued.  

"Further, please be advised that the District does not tolerate any form of retaliation because you have made this complaint.’’

But it did acknowledge that Moretti's contact with Brendan was "inappropriate and inconsistent with the high standards of professionalism expected of all employees."

Moretti was demoted to freshman basketball coach.

Erin Savage's lawsuit names Hinsdale Township Board of Education interim superintendent Linda Yorke, Hinsdale South principal Patrick Hardy, Hinsdale Township School District assistant superintendent of human resources Cheryl Moore, Hinsdale South athletic director Art Ostrow and Belcaster. 

Hinsdale South Director of Communications Chris Jasculca said the district doesn’t comment on legal matters.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.