Charlotte Sena Kidnapping Suspect Craig Ross Jr. Has Multiple Sclerosis and Struggled to Get Around: Report - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Charlotte Sena Kidnapping Suspect Craig Ross Jr. Has Multiple Sclerosis and Struggled to Get Around: Report

Craig Ross, Jr., was charged Tuesday with first-degree kidnapping in connection with the abduction of the 9-year-old girl

JWPlayer

The man suspected of kidnapping 9-year-old Charlotte Sena over the weekend reportedly suffers from multiple sclerosis and struggled to get around in the weeks leading up to the girl’s alleged abduction, a new report said.

Craig Ross Jr., 46, recently moved to a trailer on his mother’s property in Saratoga County, New York, sources told the Daily Mail.

The 46-year-old father of three was previously living in a three-bedroom home in Porters Corner, New York, where he reportedly cared for his 11-year-old daughter a few days a week. 

“His daughter spent a lot of time here, she was half here and half with her mom,” one neighbor explained, according to the outlet. “It was just him up until recently, with his sons moving in.”

Neighbors said as Ross’ health deteriorated and his MS worsened, he was forced to relocate to a mobile home on his mother’s property, while his two adult sons stayed behind, the outlet reported.

“This was his home up until about four weeks ago, he had to move back into the trailer with his mom because his MS got so bad,” an unidentified neighbor said, describing Ross as “reclusive” and “quiet.”

On Tuesday, Ross was charged with first-degree kidnapping with the intent to collect ransom in connection with Charlotte’s abduction, according to court documents.

It’s unclear if he entered a plea to the charge and police said more charges are anticipated. 

Charlotte was allegedly found hidden in a cabinet inside Ross’ trailer Monday evening, following a massive, multi-day search, according to authorities. He was taken into custody after resisting arrest, The Messenger previously reported.

This photo provided by her family on Monday, Oct. 2, 2023, shows Charlotte Sena, 9, who vanished during a camping trip in upstate New York.
This photo provided by her family on Monday, Oct. 2, 2023, shows Charlotte Sena, 9, who vanished during a camping trip in upstate New York.Family photo via AP

Authorities identified the suspect through fingerprint analysis after Ross allegedly left a ransom note inside the Sena’s mailbox at their Greenfield, New York, home.

His prints were allegedly matched to a 1999 DWI arrest record, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced during a press conference following his apprehension.

Charlotte was on a weekend camping trip with friends and family when she vanished. While biking a trail with two others Saturday evening, she said she wanted to conduct a final lap on her own. She never returned and 30 minutes later, her family discovered her abandoned bike in the 6,250-acre Moreau Lake State Park in upstate New York.

More than 400 people scoured a 46-mile area in search of the missing fourth grader.

We are thrilled that she is home and we understand that the outcome is not what every family gets,” Charlotte’s aunt, Jené Sena, said in a statement.

“A huge thank you to the FBI, the New York State Police, all of the agencies that were mobilized, all of the families, friends, community, neighbors and hundreds of volunteers who supported us and worked tirelessly to bring Charlotte home.”

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.