Charlotte Sena Kidnapping Suspect Was Previously Arrested, Charged With Choking - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

The man accused of kidnapping 9-year-old Charlotte Sena from a New York park reportedly was previously charged with choking someone during a 2017 domestic dispute.

Craig N. Ross Jr. was arrested on April 21, 2017, after police officers responded to a report of a "physical domestic dispute,” according to NBC News.

Ross was charged with criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation, arraigned and "released on his own recognizance," according to the report.

It was unclear what happened with the case.

Ross had more recently been the subject of a now closed investigation into the sexual abuse of a 12-year-old girl.

That case was closed without any charges being filed, sources told the Times Union.

The incident was alleged to have involved a female family acquaintance more than a year ago, according to the paper.

This photo provided by her family on Monday, Oct. 2, 2023, shows Charlotte Sena, 9, who vanished during a camping trip in upstate New York.
This photo provided by her family on Monday, Oct. 2, 2023, shows Charlotte Sena, 9, who vanished during a camping trip in upstate New York.Family photo via AP

Ross, 46, was arrested Monday in connection with the abduction of Sena. The suspect allegedly forced the 9-year-old to pen her own ransom note demanding thousands of dollars from her parents.

The 9-year-old was the subject of an Amber Alert after she vanished while riding her bike on Saturday.

Hundreds of searchers had scoured a nearly 50-mile search area in the frantic hunt for Sena.

Police ultimately found her after searching multiple residences where Ross was known to live, including one located roughly 13 miles south of where Sena lived in the hamlet of Porters Corners.

Craig Ross
Craig Ross

Gov. Kathy Hochul said Monday night during a news conference that investigators were able to identify a fingerprint from a ransom note allegedly left by Ross.

He was charged with first-degree kidnapping with the intent to collect ransom during an arraignment early Tuesday morning.

Ross is being held at the Saratoga County Jail without bail. He is due back in court on Oct. 17.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.