Canadian Man Drives Across US Border in Order To See News Sites Blocked by Meta and Google
Canadian social media users had not been able to access Canadian news outlets since Aug. 1
After more than a month since Meta and Google blocked Canadian users' access to Canadian news on platforms like Instagram and Facebook, a man recorded himself driving over the border into the U.S. to see if he could access the news sites from there.
YouTuber, TikToker and editor Joseph DeBenedictis posted a video of himself to TikTok driving across the Peace Bridge and into Buffalo, New York, to see if he would be able to access Canadian news immediately on the other side of the border.
Once he makes it into the U.S., DeBenedictis parks on a residential street and pulls up Instagram to attempt to access the outlets’ pages. “Oh my God! There it is! Look at that, it’s all back!” DeBenedictis is heard saying as Canadian news outlets begin fully loading on his screen.
“Oh, I’ve missed all the Canadian cultural stuff. Wow,” DeBenedictis says.
The video has since amassed more than 430,000 views on TikTok, with hundreds of users commenting about how crazy they thought it was that he could not access the news platforms’ Instagrams in Canada.
Meta and Google made the decision to no longer link to Canadian news outlets on its platforms after the Canadian government passed the Online News Act in June, which aimed to compel platforms like Facebook and Google to create deals with news outlets in order to share their work.
- Republicans Call For A Canadian Border Crackdown On The New Hampshire Campaign Trail
- Google Will Stop Linking To Canadian News After Canada Passes Its Online News Act
- New York Man Admits to Smuggling Pythons Across the Canadian Border in His Pants
- Google, Meta Will Have To Pay for News Content They Share Under New Canada Law
- Meta ‘to End News Availability’ on Facebook in Canada
- The hacked account and suspicious donations behind the Canadian trucker protests
While the Associated Press reported that the goal had been to “level [the] playing field between online advertising giants and the shrinking news industry,” Meta and Google both felt that the law went too far.
Meta spokesperson Andy Stone wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, “As we've always said, the law is based on a fundamentally flawed premise. And, regrettably, the only way we can reasonably comply is to end news availability in Canada.”
Days later, Google announced in a statement that it would be doing the same, calling the legislation “unworkable” and that it was “disappointed that it had to come to this.”
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews
