California Police Seek Hate-Crime Charges for Suspects Who Tore Down 'Save Gaza' Banners: Report - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

California Police Seek Hate-Crime Charges for Suspects Who Tore Down ‘Save Gaza’ Banners: Report

A similar banner on the same freeway overpass was allegedly stolen on December 3

A man ripping down a “Save Gaza” banner.CAIR National/YouTube

Suspects accused of tearing down “Save Gaza” banners hung on an overpass in San Jose this week could face hate-crime charges, authorities in California said. 

One video posted on YouTube by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), showed a person arguing with a man who pulled out a knife to cut and tear down one of the banners on a freeway overpass.  

Authorities said the incident happened on Wednesday on the Park Avenue overpass above Interstate 880, The Mercury News reported. The banners appear to read “End Israeli Occupation” and “Save Gaza.”

As the man tore down the banners, he called his actions “peaceful,” and later dragged them into his vehicle and drove away. The person filming the incident also captured the vehicle’s license plates. 

A similar banner on the same overpass allegedly was stolen on December 3, according to The Mercury News.

Banners from both incidents had been placed there by the Northern California Islamic Council. 

The San Jose police said they identified suspects in both incidents, but haven’t publicly released their names. The cases were submitted to the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office for review; police said they are seeking a warrant and hate-crime charges, according to CBS Bay Area.

“There is zero tolerance for hate, and hate crimes in San Jose,” Chief Anthony Mata said in a statement, according to The Mercury News.

“All hate incidents are treated with the utmost seriousness and will be given priority attention. I’m thankful for the partnership and trust our department has built with our community partners to keep our community safe!”

CAIR's San Francisco's office condemned the incidents.

“We are appalled by the brazen assault and vandalism targeting advocates exercising their right to express support for Palestine,” said a statement released by the San Francisco Bay Area office of CAIR Executive Director Zahra Billoo. “This incident is not only an attack on individuals but also an affront to our country’s principles of free speech.”

The incidents come amid a spike in attacks against Muslim and Jewish communities in the U.S. fueled by the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza that broke out on October 7. 

The Anti-Defamation League, an American Jewish advocacy group, cited 832 incidents of assault, vandalism and harassment against Jewish people in the U.S. between October 7 and November 7, according to Voice of America.

Meanwhile, CAIR said it received 1,283 requests for help and reports of bias against Muslims between October 7 and November 4, according to ABC News.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.