'Party Mom' Accused of Throwing Sex Parties for 15-Year-Old Son to Argue Contact With Teenagers Was Consensual, Prosecutors Say - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

‘Party Mom’ Accused of Throwing Sex Parties for 15-Year-Old Son to Argue Contact With Teenagers Was Consensual, Prosecutors Say

Shannon O'Connor pleaded not guilty to 39 criminal charges, including felony child abuse

JWPlayer

A California mom who is accused of throwing sex parties with alcohol and minors, including her 15-year-old son, will likely argue in court that the sexual contact between teenagers was consensual, prosecutors said.

According to a 2021 news release from the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office, Shannon O’Connor, 48, had allegedly thrown “drunken parties” for multiple teenagers — many of them 14 and 15 years old — “where she encouraged sex acts, sometimes non-consensual, and sometimes while she watched.”

At the parties, she provided vodka, whiskey, and condoms, prosecutors claim. She also allegedly discouraged teenagers from telling their parents about the parties, which took place between 2020 and 2021.

Among the victims were students from Los Gatos High School, about 50 miles south of San Francisco. Her 15-year-old son was allegedly among the victims. 

At some of these parties, teenagers “passed out in their own vomit,” according to a statement of facts from the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office. At a New Year’s Eve party, O’Connor allegedly “watched and laughed as a drunk teen sexually battered a young girl in bed,” the news release says. 

Shannon O'Connor
Shannon O'ConnorSanta Clara District Attorney’s Office

A review of O’Connor’s Google searches revealed to prosecutors that she had allegedly searched for terms like “good books with young sex,” “hot 16 (year) old teenage girls,” and “prettiest 16 year old girl,” as The Messenger previously reported.

Court documents obtained by local news outlet KRON give insight into the defense O’Connor’s legal team might put together ahead of her preliminary hearing on November 6. Prosecutors said in court filings that they expect her to argue that the sexual contact between teenagers was consensual. 

“In order to combat this argument, it is necessary to put on evidence of how many times defendant saw children being sexually abused and still continued to encourage the assaults,” Wise wrote.

O’Connor pleaded not guilty to 39 criminal charges, including felony child abuse, sexual assault, sexual battery, and providing alcohol to minors.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.