California Governor Newsom Weighs In on $800 Billion Slavery Reparations Recommendation
Gov. Gavin Newsom has weighed in on a recommendation to pay Black Californians an estimated $800 billion in reparations for slavery—and he has declined to directly endorse the proposal.
In a statement to KCRA 3 Newsom said, "Dealing with that legacy is about much more than cash payments. This work must continue.”
The state's plan to compensate and apologize to Black residents has been approved by a task force but how much money would be paid out must still be decided.
The California Reparations Task Force gave approval Saturday to a list of proposals that will go to state lawmakers to consider.
The task force voted previously to limit reparations to descendants of enslaved or free Black people who were in the country by the end of the 19th century.
The plan does not come with an overall price tag or how much Black residents would be paid. Instead, it has mathematical formulas based on a variety of factors.
CalMatters reports that some residents could receive more than $1 million under the current plan.
- California Reparations Task Force Submits Final Report, The First of Its Kind in the Country
- Poll Finds 59% of Californians Oppose Cash Reparations for Slavery
- New York State Forms Commission to Consider Reparations for Slavery
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom Vetoes Bill Banning Robotrucks Without Safety Drivers
- DeSantis Accepts Fox News Debate Challenge From California Gov. Gavin Newsom
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom to Investigate Florida Officials Over Migrant Flights
“There’s no way in the world that many of these recommendations are going to get through because of the inflationary impact,” Roy L. Brooks, a professor and reparations scholar at the University of San Diego School of Law told the Associated Press.
Some estimates from economists have projected that the state could owe $800 billion, or more than 2.5 times the state’s annual budget, in reparations under the plan.
The San Fransisco Chronicle notes that there is also a big question of whether any reparations plan would survive a legal challenge in front of the U.S. Supreme Court.
A reparations proposal has stalled at the federal level, but the idea flourished in California as well as U.S. cities and counties following the death of George Floyd.
Newsom signed legislation in 2020 creating the reparations task force. The panel is scheduled to meet one last time on June 30 to formally adopt the plan.
- Mystery Surrounds Abandoned 35-Foot Boat Found Washed Ashore at Los Angeles BeachNews
- Watch: ‘Tidy’ Mouse Helps Retired Mailman Keep His Shed Organized and CleanNews
- Epstein Victim Described Intimate Details of Donald Trump’s Alleged Sexual Proclivities — Then Recanted: Court DocsNews
- Florida Teacher Found Dead on Turnpike Possibly Ejected From Moving Vehicle, Police SayNews
- Construction Crew Traps Car Inside Scaffolding After Owner Refused to Move ItNews
- Now You Can Play ‘Trivial Pursuit’ Online With an Infinite Number of AI-Generated QuestionsTech
- Canadian Cannabis Growers Have Destroyed Millions of Pounds of PotBusiness
- Samsung’s ‘Ballie’ Is a Rolling Robot Projector That Can Help Control Your HomeTech
- Cartel Drone Attack Kills Six in Remote Mexican Community: ReportNews
- Soccer Player Struck by Stray Bullet During Match From ‘Freak Hunting Accident’ in Nearby WoodsNews
- Washington Bagel Shop Owner Shot to Death on Vacation With Husband: ‘Unimaginable Loss’News
- ‘Mr Universe’ Winner Found Guilty of Domestic Battery in Retrial After Original Conviction OverturnedNews
