Teen Who 'Had Eye Socket Broken by State Trooper' Over Ding-Dong Ditch Still Suffers Debilitating Headaches, Mom Says - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Teen Who ‘Had Eye Socket Broken by State Trooper’ Over Ding-Dong Ditch Still Suffers Debilitating Headaches, Mom Says

The boy was only able to return to school last week, a month after he was allegedly beaten by Delaware State Police Corporal Dempsey Walters, his mother said

Chavaun Harris and Erica Murphy speak out about the beating their teen sons received last month, allegedly at the hands of a Delaware State Police Corporal Dempsey Walters.WPVI

The 15-year-old boy who allegedly had his eye socket broken by a Delaware State Police trooper following a ding-dong-ditch prank at the cop's house still suffers from debilitating headaches more than a month after the brutal alleged attack, his mother said.

Erica Murphy said her son, Jayden, who required an extensive, hours-long facial surgery after he was allegedly beaten by Corporal Dempsey Walters on Aug. 21, only returned to school last week, ABC 6 Philadelphia reported.

Jayden's injuries distract him from his school work nearly every day, according to Murphy.

"He is still recovering from headaches, so he's in and out of the nurse's office daily," she said at a press conference Thursday, four days after Walters was indicted over the alleged assault.

Prosecutors allege Walters turned off his body-worn camera and punched Jayden in the head as he sat handcuffed in a police vehicle last month.

Authorities also allege Walters injured a 17-year-old boy that same night when police showed up at his house, ordered him outside at gunpoint and pulled him to the ground.

The mothers of both teens say the alleged attacks have left their families shaken and their sons traumatized.

Dempsey Walters
Delaware State Police Corp. Dempsey Walters, left, has been indicted after he allegedly beat a 15-year-old boy, right, who prosecutors say ding-dong-ditched his home last month.Delaware Department of Justice; Fox 29 Delaware

"I don't feel like I'm safe," said Chavaun Harris whose 17-year-old son, Alfred, was allegedly injured by Walters outside her family's home.

Samuel Davis and Chris Johnson, attorneys representing the boys' families, alleged Alfred was ripped "so violently" out of the house that his big toenail was torn away, Delaware Online reported.

"[Walters] made one phone call and he rallied up his whole gang," Harris added. "Like he rallied up his posse."

Davis said Thursday police dogs and a police helicopter were mobilized to respond to Walters' call, which he reported as an attempted home invasion, Delaware Online reported.

Walters, 29, was indicted and arraigned this week over the two, separate incidents. He has been suspended without pay and pleaded not guilty via his attorney in court on Tuesday.

Families of the two teens have been left outraged by the alleged beatings, which they claim police tried to cover up.

"Both of these boys feared for their lives," Davis said Thursday, ABC 6 reported. "That is just law enforcement-sponsored torture."

Prosecutors allege the trooper was on duty on Aug. 21 when his girlfriend heard a noise at their home and called him. She described a boy who was caught on video by a doorbell security camera kicking their front door, officials said.

According to authorities, Walters drove to his neighborhood and called other troopers and local police for assistance as he was on his way.

Other officers ultimately found the boy, identified as Jayden, walking on the side of the road with his friends, dashcam and body camera footage shows.

When Walters arrived, he "almost immediately" dropped his knee into the boy's head and neck, forcing the teen to cry out for his mother and scream in pain, according to prosecutors.

Walters then shut off his body-worn camera, just before he punched the boy in the face, according to authorities.

Davis said it was hard to believe how Walters organized such a large police response to the apparent juvenile prank, according to CBS News Philadelphia.

"There was law enforcement there armed not only with the standard issue handguns but also military-style rifles," Davis said.

The boy's aunt, Tara Murphy, wrote on Facebook soon after the alleged attack that troopers "beat the living hell out of" her nephew, who also suffered a concussion and required surgery to "repair severe eye damage."

Davis said Thursday following the alleged beating, police drove Jayden to a parking lot, where he remained in the police cruiser for 30 minutes before an ambulance arrived, Delaware Online reported.

"They kept them there for half an hour while they attempted, we believe, to get their story straight," Davis said. "To do something that would give them a reasonable explanation for why they treated him this way."

The Delaware State Police and state Department of Justice, which has not disclosed that Jayden was held for a half-hour before receiving medical treatment, told the newspaper they were unable to address questions about the omission because of legal constraints.

The families' attorneys also alleged Thursday Walters forced Jayden to remain handcuffed even after he was placed in an ambulance, according to Delaware Online.

At the hospital, the boy was then handcuffed to his bed and two troopers guarded the emergency room, they said.

Police repeatedly told the teen that he had not, in fact, been punched, the attorneys said. And when the troopers called Murphy to tell her what happened, they said her son had suffered a minor eye injury, the attorneys alleged.

Davis said Jayden required "two big plates with 11 screws and mesh" to repair his face, according to CBS News.

"He is so emotionally traumatized that he is barely able to function," Davis told WDEL.

Harris, Alfred's mother, said Thursday both her and her son still feel like they are targets, and Alfred has been staying with a relative, Delaware Online reported.

"The fact that this happened to my son, I'm angry," Harris said, according to ABC 6. "That officer came to my house with malicious intent."

Walters faces charges of deprivation of civil rights, several counts of assault and two counts of official misconduct. He was released after posting bail on Tuesday.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.