‘A Friendly Reminder…’: Blockbuster Gloats as Netflix Starts Charging for Sharing
The company's Twitter account said when it rented videos it didn't "care you who share it with"
The official Blockbuster Twitter account, which has remained active even though the company no longer has stores nationally, is poking fun at Netflix over its password crackdown.
The streaming service recently started charging U.S. users $8 extra a month for each person they shared their Netflix accounts with outside of their immediate household.
Blockbuster mockingly tweeted Thursday: “A friendly reminder that when you used to rent videos from us. We didn’t care who you shared it with… As long as you returned it on time. @netflix”.
- It’s Time to Pay Up for Sharing Your Netflix Password: Now What?
- Sharing Netflix Passwords Will Now Cost an Extra $8 Each Month
- Why Netflix is a victim of its own success
- Conor ‘McGregor Forever’: New Netflix Documentary Chronicles UFC Star’s Life
- Netflix Is Finally Dropping Its International ‘Bird Box’ Sequel This July
Netflix previously supported password sharing, once tweeting: “Love is sharing a password.”
Blockbuster was the king of the VHS and DVD rental business in the 1990s and early 2000s before Netflix started a service that would mail rentals. Netflix later went into streaming.
Blockbuster famously rejected an offer to buy Netflix for $50 million.
Blockbuster closed all of its corporate stores in 2014, but a handful of independent locations remained open.
A single Blockbuster store still remains open in Bend, Oregon.
Dish satellite TV provider bought the Blockbuster assets and offers a Blockbuster streaming service and pay-per-view movies.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon Discussed Epstein’s Accounts for Years, Former Exec AllegesNews
- NASA’s UFO Task Force to Host First Meeting for Public BriefingNews
- Canadian Wildfires Bring Haze, Air Quality Alerts to United StatesNews
- Wary of Banks, Americans Stash Cash at Home – in the Fridge, Suitcases, Even Toilet Water TanksMoney
- Israel’s Mossad Confirms Ex-Agent Was One of 4 Who Died When Boat Sank in ItalyNews
- UN Pushes Deal to Avert Disaster at Ukraine Nuclear PlantNews
- Astronauts on Commercial Mission Splash Down in Return From International Space StationNews
- Jimmy Butler Applies to Trademark Nickname Mashup Ahead of Finals RunNews
- Bugatti-Designed Tower in Dubai Will Let Residents Drive Up to Their FloorsNews
- LA Mayor Declines $600 Gift Bag from Kardashian-JennersNews
- Alabama Extends Existing Ban on Transgender Athletes from K-12 to Colleges and UniversitiesNews
- Video of Idaho Police Fatally Shooting Two Dogs Running on Highway Sparks Online OutrageNews