600 Americans Still Trapped in Gaza – as Egypt and Israel Refuse Safe Passage
A deal on opening a path for humanitarian aid to Gaza said nothing about getting foreign nationals out
A new deal announced Wednesday that will allow humanitarian aid to reach Gaza after 12 days of war doesn’t mention the fate of thousands of desperate foreigners and dual nationals trapped in the bombarded Palestinian enclave — including an estimated 600 Americans.
Israel and Egypt have kept Gaza's southern border crossing closed since the war began. Abdulla Okal has been trying desperately to get his wife, Haneen, and three children ages 8, 2, and two months out of Gaza and back home to Union County, New Jersey.
After President Joe Biden announced the aid deal Wednesday, Okal blamed the U.S. for failing to get his family out.
“We've been feeling that we're abandoned. Biden talked about humanitarian aid but he did not even mention Americans who need to evacuate,” he said. “He [Biden] has to make sure he evacuates all Americans from Gaza safely by the time they get humanitarian relief in Gaza.”
The U.S. State Department estimates that there are about 600 Americans currently in Gaza, reported NBC News. Most are dual nationals.
Okal’s wife has traveled with her children to the crossing at Rafah three times since the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem first advised Americans to do so as a first step to evacuation from the Gaza Strip. On two of those occasions, the crossing was bombed in an Israeli airstrike.
“We’re losing hope,” Okal said.
- Massachusetts Family and New Jersey Relatives, Previously Trapped In Gaza, Now Safe In Egypt: Lawyer
- 600 Americans Still Unable to Leave Gaza
- American Couple Who Were Trapped in Gaza Said They Were Waiting for Death
- American Father Trapped in Gaza Says He Has Opened His Baby Son’s Last Box of Milk, Is Running Out of Hope After 16 Days
- Five Aid Workers Are First Americans To Evacuate Gaza Into Egypt
- Americans to be Allowed to Exit Gaza Through Egypt as Soon as Today: US Official
Hundreds of other people holding foreign passports have made repeated visits to the Rafah crossing, hoping to escape Israeli air strikes that have killed more than 3,000 people and a siege that has left Gaza without fresh supplies of electricity, drinking water, and fuel.
On Wednesday, Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel would lift its blockade and let hundreds of tons of food, water, and medical supplies into Gaza through the Rafah border post. But the fate of the Americans in Gaza was not mentioned, and Egypt has yet to agree to let them in.
It was unclear when aid shipments would begin crossing into Gaza — as evening fell Wednesday, CNN Arabic reported explosions near the crossing — or when an arrangement might be reached for the foreigners trapped in the war zone.
The State Department did not immediately return a request for comment Wednesday.
Last week, a State Department spokesperson told The Messenger that it has "no higher priority than the safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas" and that they "continue to closely monitor the dynamic security situation and have a team communicating 24/7 with U.S. citizens (in Gaza) and providing them assistance through phone calls and the online form."
Also last week, advocacy groups in the Detroit area sued the federal government on behalf of a Palestinian-American family “currently trapped abroad in the Gaza Strip in an active war zone where they are under imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury."
The suit asked a judge to force Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin "to evacuate U.S. citizens from Gaza and return them safely to the United States or another nation outside of the war zone in the most expeditious manner available" and to "declare the Defendants’ inaction in failing to evacuate U.S. citizens from Gaza as arbitrary and capricious and violative of the statutory and constitutional provisions set forth herein."
"Right now, they're not in any form or shape of a safe area. They're still there," Yahya Alarayshi, who brought the suit on behalf of his parents in Gaza, said at a news conference Tuesday. "We're just hoping the best for them, and they come home safely."
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews