Matt Yglesias went on Joe Rogan’s hit podcast a few years ago to talk about his new book and ended up talking about his weight, too.
- Bad Takes, Episode 5: Ron DeSantis’ cunning migrant ploy
- Bad Takes, Episode 1: Climate justice vs. the climate bill
- Bad Takes, Episode 4: Tucker Carlson’s case for the British Empire
- Bad Takes, Episode 2: Cops are more popular than pro-abortion rights activists (and liberals) might think
- Bad Takes, Episode 22: Matt Schlapp and the limits of #MeToo
Rogan suggested that Matt, who was heavy for his height at the time, should exercise and eat better to shed some pounds.
For Matt, the exchange stung, though it wasn’t the first time he’d thought about his weight. In fact, he’d been researching how to get to a healthy weight for a while. Two years later, he’s almost 60 pounds lighter, but not because he took Rogan’s advice.
Matt’s experience represents the debate over obesity in America that he and Laura McGann try to crack in this week’s episode.
Rogan’s view is on one side of the obesity argument, which pushes diet and exercise. The fat positivity movement is on the other, claiming that health has nothing to do with weight.
More Bad Takes Episodes
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- What Ramadan really means to me — and nearly 2 billion MuslimsGrid
- France protests, explained in five words: ‘Life begins when work ends’Grid
- Medical residents nationwide are unionizing. What does that mean for the future of healthcare?Grid
- Ramadan fashion hits the runways. Muslim women say it’s been a long time coming.Grid
- Who is Shou Zi Chew – the TikTok CEO doing all he can to keep his app going in the U.S.?Grid
- The SVB collapse has made deposits more valuable than ever — and banks will have to compete for themGrid
- Ukraine War in Data: 74,500 war crimes cases — and countingGrid
- Can China really play a role in ending the war in Ukraine?Grid
- ‘No Dumb Questions’: What is Section 230?Grid
- Trump steers allies and opponents on the right to a new enemy: Manhattan District Attorney Alvin BraggGrid
- World in Photos: In France, no-confidence vote and fresh protestsGrid
- Bad Takes, Episode 32: The lesson elites should have learned from IraqGrid