What Was in Megan Thee Stallion’s Victim Statement Read at Tory Lanez Sentencing
She said she struggled about whether to attend the sentencing hearing in person but opted to sit it out to preserve her mental health
Megan Thee Stallion didn’t attend Tory Lanez sentencing on Monday in a Los Angeles court room, but a victim’s statement she submitted was read aloud by Los Angeles County District Attorney Kathy Ta.
Although the rapper/singer testified during the trial, she said she struggled about whether to attend the sentencing hearing in person but opted to sit it out to preserve her mental health. The hip-hop star said she “simply could not bring myself to be in a room with Tory again.”
The Messenger was present in the courtroom for Monday's sentencing, which was not completed and extended to Tuesday.
“Since I was viciously shot by the defendant, I have not experienced a single day of peace,” Megan said in the statement. “I spiraled into the dark and slowly but surely, I’m healing and coming back, but I will never be the same.”
“He lied to anyone that would listen,” Megan added, referring to Lanez. In her statement, the hip-hop star also said that mercy is for those who show remorse for their crimes, but Lanez has shown none.
“If it can happen to me, imagine what can happen to [those without the resources I do]," she said. "Their lives matter... his crime warrants the full weight of the law.” She added that Lanez “made a mockery of my trauma” after the fact on social media by accusing her of lying.
Judge Herriford said that he would not consider Lanez’s lack of remorse in the sentencing but Lanez’s actions following the shooting, including social media posts and alleged harassment of Megan, would be considered.
- Tory Lanez Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Megan Thee Stallion Shooting
- Tory Lanez Denied New Trial in Megan Thee Stallion Shooting
- Iggy Azalea Writes Letter of Support for Tory Lanez Before Sentencing
- Iggy Azalea Defends Her Letter of Support for Tory Lanez Ahead of Sentencing
- Megan Thee Stallion Slams Her ‘Haters’ During First Performance Since Tory Lanez’s Sentencing
- Tory Lanez Denied Bail Again
Megan added that she hopes the sentence sends a message to those who commit violence against women and thanked the District Attorney’s Office for their support.
During Monday’s hearing, Judge Herriford said that he received more than 70 letters testifying about Lanez’s character, including one from rapper Iggy Azalea.
Lanez was found guilty of three felony charges in December, including assault with a semiautomatic firearm, having a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle, and discharging a firearm with gross negligence.
Megan Thee Stallion previously accused Lanez of shooting her in the foot after they left a party at Kylie Jenner’s Hollywood Hills home. Lanez maintained his innocence and also dedicated an entire album to rebutting her version of events. Los Angeles prosecutors are asking for a 13-year sentence for Lanez, whose legal name is Daystar Peterson.
According to ABC News, Lanez's attorneys said in a sentencing memo that their client should get probation and be released from jail to enter a residential substance abuse program. They plan to appeal his conviction.
- Christian Oliver’s Wife Mourns Husband and Daughters Following Tragic Plane CrashEntertainment
- Slipknot’s Corey Taylor Cancels Solo Tour Due to ‘Mental and Physical Health’Entertainment
- Golden Globes Prepare for Possible Protests Amid Israel-Hamas WarEntertainment
- John Mayer Confesses Surprising ‘Kink,’ as Well as Unexpected ‘Romantic Fantasy’Entertainment
- ‘Battlestar Galactica,’ ‘Law & Order’ Actor Harry Johnson Dies at 81Entertainment
- Carrie Underwood Reveals Surprising Favorite Workout Song: ‘Gets Me Going’Entertainment
- Lamar Odom Talks Ketamine Therapy Experience Following Matthew Perry’s Death: ‘You Can’t Do It on Your Own’Entertainment
- Ted Nugent Rejects Climate Change, Says ‘You Have to Have Sh– for Brains’ to Believe ItEntertainment
- Ben Affleck’s Full-Frontal Nudity in ‘Gone Girl’: Revisiting That Shower Scene 10 Years LaterEntertainment
- Who Is Golden Globes Host Jo Koy?Entertainment
- Here’s What the Golden Globes Looked Like 20 Years AgoEntertainment
- All the Movies and TV Specials About Tonya Harding’s Notorious Figure Skating SagaEntertainment
