Disney's live-action version of The Little Mermaid is out in theaters today, and the Twitterverse has come to one important conclusion: Prince Eric (Jonah Hauer-King) and Ariel (Halle Bailey) have extremely good chemistry.
It's the kind of chemistry that helped earn the film a whopping 95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and inspired fans to devote their Twitter feeds to shipping these two actors.
First things first: There's a scene between the duo that's particularly captivating the imagination of Little Mermaid fans in which a robbed-of-her-voice Ariel teaches Eric how to say her name (I can confirm the scene is deserving of the hype).
- ‘The Little Mermaid’ Star Halle Bailey Meets Original Ariel Voice Actress Jodi Benson at Premiere
- ‘The Little Mermaid’: Release Date, Cast, Trailer, and Everything to Know
- ‘The Little Mermaid’ Modernized Its Ending With Two Important Twists
- ‘The Little Mermaid’ Cast and Character Guide
- All the Differences Between the Animated and Live-Action Versions of ‘The Little Mermaid’
The palpable connection can be traced back to Bailey and Hauer-King's own friendship, which was cemented early on in the casting process. The actress opened up to Out in a recent interview about how quickly the two clicked.
"It was so much fun to be able to play that with Jonah," she said. "From the moment we met, there was this genuine friendship and connection that we had, and I was so grateful for that. I think in our screen test the first time, we felt that right away."
Hauer-King returned the compliment, gushing to PopBuzz after being asked his favorite moment of Bailey on-screen.
"I 100% know mine. It was when Halle does the iconic rock moment where she's got the waves going behind her and she's singing the beautiful song," he said. "I was there on the beach just having a nice time, chilling out, and watching her do it was just unbelievable. It was very moving."
The Little Mermaid, with all its under-the-sea chemistry in tow, is playing in theaters now.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Kate Beckinsale Reveals How Keanu Reeves Saved Her from a Wardrobe MalfunctionEntertainment
- Reality TV Producers Aren’t the ‘Conniving, Shady’ Stereotypes You Might Expect, Says ‘The Ultimatum: Queer Love’ ProducerEntertainment
- ‘Big Brother’ Alum Tommy Bracco Engaged to Joseph MacliEntertainment
- ‘Chicago P.D.’ Season 11: Cast, Release Date and Everything to KnowEntertainment
- Tan France and Husband Rob Welcome Baby No. 2 via SurrogateEntertainment
- Third Man Charged in 2002 Murder of Run-DMC’s Jam Master JayEntertainment
- ‘Black Mirror’ Season 6 Trailer and Premiere Date Revealed by NetflixEntertainment
- ‘Chicago Fire’ Season 12: Cast, Release Date and Everything to KnowEntertainment
- Al Pacino, 83, Expecting Baby with Girlfriend, 29Entertainment
- Summer Reads: Unveiling the Hottest Books of the SeasonEntertainment
- ‘Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ Star Erika Jayne Is Not Dating Jim WilkesEntertainment
- Alec Baldwin Is Recovering From Hip ReplacementEntertainment