Sophie Turner Has New Legal Team Shakeup in Joe Jonas Custody Case - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Sophie Turner Has New Legal Team Shakeup in Joe Jonas Custody Case

Joe Jonas filed for divorce from Sophie Turner in September; the two share daughters Delphine, 1, and Willa, 3

Joe Jonas and Sophie TurnerMatt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images

Sophie Turner has retained a new lawyer in her New York custody case as she continues her divorce with estranged husband Joe Jonas.

In court documents signed Tuesday and obtained by The Messenger, attorney Gretchen Beall Schumann will replace Kelly A. Powers — who was added to Turner's team in September — Stephen John Cullen and Matthew T. Wagman.

This is the latest legal shakeup for the Game of Thrones star. Regarding her Miami divorce case, the actress recently parted ways from her previous legal team at Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt in Fort Myers, Texas, and opted to hire attorneys Dori Foster-Morales and Nicole Alvarez, who are located in Miami.

Jonas filed for divorce on Sept. 5 in Miami Dade County, Fla., stating that "the marriage between the parties is irretrievably broken." Breaking their silence on the split, Jonas and Turner said in a joint statement posted on Turner's Instagram profile Sept. 6:

"After four wonderful years of marriage we have mutually decided to amicably end our marriage. There are many speculative narratives as to why but, truly this is a united decision and we sincerely hope that everyone can respect our wishes for privacy and our children."

Their divorce took a turn when Turner sued the Jonas Brothers band member in attempt to have their two daughters (Willa, 3, and Delphine, 1) returned to their "forever home" in England.

In those docs, Turner alleged Jonas filed for divorce "very suddenly" after the two had an "argument" on his Aug. 15 birthday. She also claimed that she "found out through the media" about his filing and that he was "refusing" to give her their children's passports.

After a public back and forth, which included Jonas denying Turner's claims in a lengthy statement, calling the "unfortunate" lawsuit "misleading at best," the two had four days of mediation.

Jonas filed to dismiss his petition for dissolution of marriage in Miami-Dade County Court records obtained by The Messenger. The paperwork notes that the co-parents "continue to pursue an amicable resolution of all issues" regarding their dissolution and custody agreement.

According to the filing, Jonas and Turner have "engaged in mediation and intend to engage in further mediation" without involving the court.

Attorneys for the exes previously told The Messenger they filed a motion "vacating all deadlines and trial dates submitted herewith," adding: "The parties believe that an amicable resolution on all issues between them is forthcoming."

Additionally, the former couple has also reached an interim custody agreement for their daughters.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.