Sam Smith is ending their U.K. tour early after experiencing vocal issues during a concert on Wednesday night.
The Grammy-winning singer, who is in Europe for their international Gloria tour, shared that they are following doctor's orders and canceling the last handful of shows.
"Due to vocal issues during last night's Manchester performance, regrettably we will be canceling the rescheduled Birmingham and Glasgow Sam Smith shows," a statement on their Instagram Story read.
They were scheduled for a show in Glasgow on Thursday and two in Birmingham on Saturday, per their website.
- Britney Spears Says She Feels ‘Blessed’ to Be with ‘Incredible’ Husband Sam Asghari
- ‘The Idol’ Viewers Brand the HBO Show ‘Boring’: ‘Sam Levinson at His Most Hollow’
- The future of AI in music is now. Artificial Intelligence was in the music industry long before FN Meka.
- Wanda Sykes Says Will Smith Called Her After 2022 Oscars Incident
- Taylor Swift vs. Ticketmaster: How the mega-star and her fans are challenging the company’s 50-year grip on the music industry
"A spokesperson said 'Doctors have advised due to a vocal cord injury, Sam must have complete vocal rest," the statement continued.
It shared that the Stay With Me singer "is heartbroken to have had to cancel these shows but they have been told by doctors that if they keep singing, they will do permanent damage to their voice. If they take some rest they will be able to perform again."
Smith ended with their own note.
"I'm so sorry," they wrote, adding a broken heart emoji.
The announcement came hours after Smith left the stage during their show in Manchester on Wednesday night.
They explained to fans in a message on their Instagram Story, "Dearest sailors, I don't know what to say honestly. I fought off a virus a few weeks ago and since then we have travelled across Europe and had such incredible shows."
They continued, "Today in soundcheck I felt fine and was excited to give Manchester an amazing show tonight, with a special surprise at the end."
Smith said they "noticed something was wrong with my voice" three songs into their performance.
"I prayed it was just my voice waking up for the show but into the fourth song I could feel something was really wrong."
They added, "I came off stage and have tried everything to get my voice back in gear but it won't. I am honestly heartbroken I couldn't finish the show for you all. I love you all. I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry x"
Smith is currently on tour in support of their fourth studio album, Gloria. The canceled shows come as they prepare to bring their tour to North America, beginning at FTX Arena in Miami on July 25. The tour will then head to Asia this fall.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Kathy Griffin Documents Latest Vocal Cord SurgeryEntertainment
- Pink’s Daughter Willow Delivers Surprise Performance During Mom’s Tour KickoffEntertainment
- ‘South Park’ Creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker Save Local Restaurant, Revamp It for $40 MillionEntertainment
- Pat Cooper, Stand-Up Comedian and ‘Analyze This’ Actor, Dead at 93Entertainment
- Jodie Comer Leaves ‘Prima Facie’ 10 Minutes Into Performance Due to NYC Air ConditionsEntertainment
- Danny Bonaduce and Wife Amy Share Positive Health Updates After His Brain SurgeryEntertainment
- Shannon Beador Explains That Viral Photo With Ex-Husband David Beador: ‘It Was Awkward’ (Exclusive)Entertainment
- Governors Ball to Go On in New York Despite Canada Wildfire SmokeEntertainment
- The Nightlife Split Shaking Up the A-List Party Scene: What’s Next for Former Business Partners Richie Akiva and Darren DzienciolEntertainment
- ‘Wednesday’ Star Percy Hynes White Addresses Misinformation Campaign: ‘Rumors Are False’Entertainment
- ‘Only Murders in the Building’ Season 3: Cast, Release Date and Everything to KnowEntertainment
- Tupac Shakur’s Sister Accepts His Posthumous Star on the Hollywood Walk of FameEntertainment