Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Developing a 'Great Expectations' Prequel for Netflix: Report - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Developing a ‘Great Expectations’ Prequel for Netflix: Report

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed a production deal with Netflix in September 2020 through their Archewell Productions

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attend the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Ripple of Hope Gala on Dec. 06, 2022 in New York CityMike Coppola/Getty Images for 2022 Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Ripple of Hope Gala

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly next tackling scripted content with their Netflix deal.

According to multiple reports, the couple is developing a prequel of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations entitled Bad Manners, which will serve as an origin story for Miss Havisham.

The Messenger has reached out to reps for Harry and Meghan, as well as Netflix.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the series will "recast the lonely spinster as a strong woman living in a patriarchal society, though it is unclear whether the show will get a green light from Netflix."

Harry, 38, and Meghan, 41, signed a production deal with Netflix in September 2020 through their Archewell Productions.

After their explosive docuseries Harry & Meghan debuted on the streamer in December, breaking several records, a Netflix spokesperson told Entertainment Tonight that the couple is renewing their deal.

"The bond with Archewell Productions is one we deeply value. Harry & Meghan launched as Netflix's most spectacular documentary debut to date," the rep said, according to The Mirror.

"Our exciting journey with them isn't ending anytime soon," they continued. "We're currently collaborating on numerous projects, including the much-anticipated documentary series Heart of Invictus."

Following recent reports that Markle’s Archetypes podcast was not renewed at Spotify as the couples' Archewell Audio ended its reportedly $20 million deal with the platform, they said in a joint statement with the company that they "mutually agreed to part ways and are proud of the series we made together."

A source previously told The Messenger that the Duchess of Sussex signing with WME was "an indicator of a new chapter," adding: "Talks are being had elsewhere about where Archetypes could have a new home."

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.