Matthew McConaughey Takes Out Restraining Order - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Matthew McConaughey Takes Out Restraining Order Against Woman Claiming to Be His ‘Common-Law Wife’

McConaughey says the woman has been stalking him and sending 'unhinged letters,' as well as filing 'frivolous' lawsuits designed to initiate contact with him at court

JWPlayer

A judge has granted Matthew McConaughey's request for a restraining order to be taken out against a woman who has allegedly been stalking him and sending "unhinged" letters, at one point claiming she is his common-law wife.

According to Fox News, Judge Timothy Martella granted McConaughey's request for a five-year restraining order, which is set to expire on October 19, 2028.

Although McConaughey attended the hearing in a Los Angeles courthouse in person Thursday, the woman, whose name has not been disclosed, did not show.

The woman requested a continuance, but Martella did not oblige, stating that she needed better cause for another extension.

McConaughey had previously told the court that since April 2022, the unnamed woman — who he says believes she is in a romantic relationship with him — had spammed him with "unhinged letters, emails, and frivolous lawsuits designed to lure me into court," according to The Blast.

"These lawsuits were designed to lure me to court and come into contact with me," the actor said in court.

Matthew McConaughey celebrates the release of "Just Because" at Barnes & Noble The Grove on September 16, 2023 in Los Angeles, California.
Matthew McConaughey celebrates the release of "Just Because" at Barnes & Noble The Grove on September 16, 2023 in Los Angeles, California.Emma McIntyre/Getty Images

McConaughey cited lawsuits that the woman had brought against him, including one accusing McConaughey of hiring her as his social media strategist and not paying her $100,000 for her services.

McConaughey asked for the temporary restraining order on Sept. 28 against the woman, after she told the actor that she was coming "more than 300 miles" to attend an event promoting his forthcoming book and sent a "threatening email" to the bookstore where the event was being held, the outlet reported. She was subsequently escorted away by police.

The Interstellar star wrote in his original petition for a restraining order that he was "concerned" that the woman might cause him "physical harm."

The unnamed woman also claims that she co-wrote McConaughey's new book, Just Because, which he had been promoting since its release on Sept. 12. The children's picture book features rhymes beginning with the phrase "Just Because."

"I think all the couplets in this piece, Just Because, it's saying there's not one absolute, basically," he said in an interview with NPR. "It's showing all the contradictions that we all have with ourselves, with each other and understanding human relationships. It's just saying just because it's one thing doesn't mean it can't be another. It's that both are true."

Outside of the release of his book, McConaughey lent his voice to the animated Netflix series Agent Elvis, in which he played Elvis Presley, and he'll soon be appearing in a sequel to Kevin Costner's Yellowstone.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.