Margot Robbie might just have earned a "co-star of the year" award. The actress, who stars as the main character in the upcoming Greta Gerwig comedy Barbie, gave her co-star Ryan Gosling a pink present every single day, throughout the duration of the film's shoot.
Gosling, the Ken to Robbie's Barbie, told Vogue in a recent interview that the gifts helped him find his character.
“She left a pink present with a pink bow, from Barbie to Ken, every day while we were filming. They were all beach-related. Like puka shells, or a sign that says 'Pray for surf.' Because Ken’s job is just beach," the actor said. "I’ve never quite figured out what that means. But I felt like she was trying to help Ken understand, through these gifts that she was giving.”
Gosling has previously credited Robbie and the film's director Gerwig for allowing him to find the role of Ken within himself, when he was doubting his "Kenergy."
- John Cena’s ‘Accidental Run-In’ With Margot Robbie Got Him a ‘Barbie’ Role
- Ryan Gosling To Appear on ‘Barbie’ Soundtrack Alongside Dua Lipa, Nicki Minaj
- Ryan Gosling Explains Why Ken’s Story ‘Must Be Told’ amid Criticism for His ‘Barbie’ Role
- ‘Barbie’: Trailer, Release Date, Cast and Everything to Know
- Years Before the ‘Barbie’ Soundtrack, Ryan Gosling Recorded a Ghoulish Indie-Rock Opus
The actor opened up about the process of transforming into the beloved doll during an appearance at CinemaCon in April, sharing that the duo helped make the plastic figure come alive.
“I didn’t see it but Margot and Greta conjured this out of me somehow," Gosling said, per USA Today. "One day I was bleaching my hair, shaving my legs and wearing bespoke pink outfits and rollerblading down Venice Beach.”
The whole team had the unique challenge of bringing the Mattel universe into a live-action realm. For Robbie, grappling with Barbie's sexuality was a major question she asked as she built her own character.
"I’m like, 'Okay, she’s a doll.' She’s a plastic doll. She doesn’t have organs. If she doesn’t have organs, she doesn’t have reproductive organs," Robbie mused to Vogue. "If she doesn’t have reproductive organs, would she even feel sexual desire? No, I don’t think she could.”
Barbie, in all its pink-bow glory, lands in theaters June 21.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- ‘Wednesday’ Star Percy Hynes White Addresses Misinformation Campaign: ‘Rumors Are False’Entertainment
- ‘Only Murders in the Building’ Season 3: Cast, Release Date and Everything to KnowEntertainment
- Tupac Shakur’s Sister Accepts His Posthumous Star on the Hollywood Walk of FameEntertainment
- ‘Arrested Development’ Actor Jay Johnston Charged in Jan. 6 Capitol RiotEntertainment
- Matty Healy Says He’s Been Spending Time ‘With His Boys’ Following Breakup From Taylor SwiftEntertainment
- ‘The French Connection’ Racial Slur Edit Causes Uproar and DebateEntertainment
- Kelly Mi Li Shares the Joys and Challenges of Being a New Mom: ‘We’re Still Learning’ (Exclusive)Entertainment
- ‘Million Dollar Listing’ Star Josh Flagg Purchases $4.5 Million Miami Beach HomeEntertainment
- Hannah Bronfman and Brendan Fallis Welcome a Baby GirlNews
- Morgan Wallen ‘Cleared to Sing’ After Canceling 6 Weeks of Shows for Vocal RestEntertainment
- Elliot Page Reveals Sexual Relationship With ‘Juno’ Co-star Olivia Thirlby in New MemoirEntertainment
- Carly Pearce and Riley King Break Up After 2 Year TogetherEntertainment