Julianne Hough Congratulates Ex Ryan Seacrest on New 'Wheel of Fortune' Hosting Gig - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Julianne Hough Congratulates Ex Ryan Seacrest on New ‘Wheel of Fortune’ Hosting Gig

The former pair, who started dating in 2011 and split in 2013, has remained friendly throughout the years

Julianne Hough, Ryan SeacrestBruce Glikas/WireImage; Mindy Small/Getty

After Ryan Seacrest announced that he will be taking over hosting duties on Wheel of Fortune, fans, celebs and friends were quick to congratulate the longtime television host — including ex Julianne Hough.

"Congratulations Ry," Hough commented on his Instagram post Tuesday.

The former pair, who started dating in 2011 and split in 2013, has remained friendly throughout the years.

During an interview on Seacrest's radio show, On Air With Ryan Seacrest, last year, Hough (who appeared with brother Derek Hough to promote their TV special Step Into… The Movies with Derek and Julianne Hough) and Seacrest got candid about their friendship post-breakup.

"Sisanie and Tanya [Seacrest's co-hosts] have been asking me if this is awkward for me and I said, 'Not at all,'" Seacrest said at the beginning of the interview.

Ryan Seacrest and Julianne Hough arrive at The Weinstein Company and Realativity Media's 2011 Golden Globes after party held inside The Beverly Hilton hotel on January 16, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California.
Ryan Seacrest and Julianne Hough arrive at The Weinstein Company and Realativity Media's 2011 Golden Globes after party held inside The Beverly Hilton hotel on January 16, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California. Barry King/FilmMagic

"It's awkward for me!" Derek chimed in, before Julianne admitted, "We're friends, we chat."

"Julianne, they don't understand that concept that one can remain friends after a breakup. Or after dating or whatever happened," Seacrest said. "There is nothing uncomfortable about it because we remained friends for years and still are."

Julianne added that she and her ex still have "respect and love and just all those things."

Seacrest's announcement comes weeks after after Pat Sajak announced his retirement from hosting the game show for over four decades.

"Well, the time has come. I've decided that our 41st season, which begins in September, will be my last," Sajak wrote. "It's been a wonderful ride, and I'll have more to say in the coming months. Many thanks to you all."

The former Live with Kelly and Ryan co-host praised his WoF predecessor for leading the way in his Tuesday announcement.

"I'm truly humbled to be stepping into the footsteps of the legendary Pat Sajak," Seacrest wrote on Instagram. "I can say, along with the rest of America, that it's been a privilege and pure joy to watch Pat and Vanna [White] on our television screens for an unprecedented 40 years, making us smile every night and feel right at home with them."

"Many people don't know this, but one of my first jobs was hosting a little game show called 'Click' for Merv Griffin 25 years ago, so this is truly a full circle moment for me and I'm grateful to Sony for this opportunity," he continued.

The American Idol star concluded: "I can't wait to continue the tradition for spinning the wheel and working alongside the great Vanna White."

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.