John Boyega Gives Update on Jamie Foxx: 'Doing Well' - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

John Boyega Gives Update on Jamie Foxx 2 Months After Actor’s ‘Medical Complication’

'He finally picked up the phone,' Boyega said at the Los Angeles premiere of their film, 'They Cloned Tyrone,' Tuesday night

John Boyega, Jamie FoxxJamie McCarthy/Getty; Joe Maher/Getty

John Boyega says Jaime Foxx is on the mend more than two months after the Beat Shazam host experienced a "medical complication."

"He finally picked up the phone. Thank you, bro," the Star Wars actor told People at the Hollywood premiere of their film, They Cloned Tyrone. "He's doing well. And then, you know, we just giving him the privacy, and we can't wait for his return."

Boyega continued: "I gave him the well wishes directly. I gave him all the well wishes. So I'm just gonna be waiting until he comes back out here. So take your time, Jamie. We love you, bro."

The Woman King actor's update about Foxx comes two weeks after Boyega said he hadn't heard from his co-star in a while. 

"I wanted him to show up here but you know, I know he's dealing with what he's dealing with, and we just wish him all the best," he told Entertainment Tonight at the American Black Film Festival in Miami Beach, Fla. "I've been calling, I'm just gonna keep on calling. He better pick up. Come on Jamie!"

Earlier this month, the actor's rep refuted unsubstantiated claims that Foxx's medical emergency was the result of him having a stroke after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine, calling the claims "completely inaccurate" in a statement to The Messenger. 

In April, the Academy Award winner's daughter Corinne Foxx issued a statement on behalf of her family that the actor was recovering after suffering a "medical complication." She added in the since-deleted Instagram post, "Luckily, due to quick action and great care, he is already on his way to recovery. We know how beloved he is and appreciate your prayers. The family asks for privacy during this time."

In May, Foxx broke his silence on social media, writing, "Appreciate all the love!!! Feeling blessed." His daughter offered more information about his recovery process that same month. 

"Update from the family: Sad to see how the media runs wild. My Dad has been out of the hospital for weeks, recuperating," the Dollface actress wrote on her Instagram Story at the time. "In fact, he was playing pickleball yesterday! Thanks for everyone's prayers and support!"

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.