‘Blind Side’ Author Says Michael Oher ‘Should Be Mad at Hollywood’ and Not Tuohy Family
Michael Lewis wrote 'The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game,' which was adapted into the 2009 film
Blind Side author Michael Lewis, who wrote the bestselling book that inspired the 2009 film starring Sandra Bullock, is speaking out about the ongoing controversy between Michael Oher and the Tuohy family.
"What I feel really sad about is I watched the whole thing up close," Lewis said to the Washington Post on Wednesday. "They showered him with resources and love. That he's suspicious of them is breathtaking. The state of mind one has to be in to do that — I feel sad for him."
Earlier this week, Oher claimed in legal documents that the Tuohy family tricked him into signing a document that named Leigh Anne Tuohy, who was played by Bullock in the film, and her husband, Sean Tuohy, as his conservators.
Oher said he thought the paperwork was related to them adopting him as part of their family — a heartwarming aspect of their story, which gripped people's imaginations when the book and movie were released.
Since that news broke, Sean and his son Sean Tuohy, Jr. have denied allegations of any wrongdoing, including pushing back on Oher's claims that the family made millions from their story, while Oher received nothing, especially from the film he said "would not have existed without him."
On the aspect of compensation, Lewis said he thinks Oher's ire is misplaced and should be directed at the entertainment industry instead.
- ‘Blind Side’ Tuohy Family to End Conservatorship for Michael Oher
- Michael Oher Paid $138,000 by Tuohys For ‘The Blind Side’ Profits: Report
- Where to Watch ‘The Blind Side’ Amid the Michael Oher and Tuohy Family Drama
- ‘Blind Side’ Author Says Michael Oher Sued Tuohy Family After Getting ‘Hit in the Head’ Playing Football
- Why ‘Blind Side’ Parents Chose a Conservatorship Over Adopting Michael Oher
- ‘Blind Side’ Movie Producers Vigorously Defend Film Amid Michael Oher and Tuohy Family Drama
"Everybody should be mad at the Hollywood studio system," Lewis said in the interview. "Michael Oher should join the writers strike. It's outrageous how Hollywood accounting works, but the money is not in the Tuohys' pockets."
He added that though the film made around half a billion dollars, the stake that Lewis and the Tuohy family had in the film did not yield as large an amount as one would expect.
Lewis estimated the Tuohy family's share to be about $350,000.
"We didn't make any money off the movie," Sean Tuohy previously said. "Well, Michael Lewis gave us half of his share. Everybody in the family got an equal share, including Michael. It was about $14,000, each."
On Wednesday, the Tuohy family announced they would move to end the conservatorship.
- Now You Can Play ‘Trivial Pursuit’ Online With an Infinite Number of AI-Generated QuestionsTech
- Lisa Bonet Officially Files for Divorce From Jason Momoa 2 Years LaterEntertainment
- Get Ready for a Jane Austen-Themed February on Hallmark With Four Brand-New FilmsEntertainment
- Destiny’s Child Reunites to Sing Happy Birthday for Kelly Rowland’s HusbandEntertainment
- ‘Sweet Magnolias’ Star JoAnna Garcia Swisher Shares Season 4 Wishes for Maddie and Her Friends (Exclusive)Entertainment
- Skywalker Family Reunion: Mark Hamill ‘Finally’ Meets His ‘Star Wars’ Mother Natalie PortmanEntertainment
- No, Brad Pitt and Neri Oxman Never Dated Despite Rumor Reigniting Online: Source (Exclusive)Entertainment
- Mark Ruffalo Apologizes After Sharing AI-Generated Photos in Trump/Epstein-Related PostEntertainment
- Tyler Perry Mourns Death of 94-Year-Old Woman He Had Supported in Battle to Save Her HouseEntertainment
- Woman Who Waged Celeb-Backed Battle Against Developers to Keep Her Historic Home Dies at 94Entertainment
- Dean Cain Responds After Being Called a ‘No Talent Hack of a B-Rated Actor’Entertainment
- ‘Fauda’ Actor Reportedly Interviewed ‘Minutes’ Before He Was Injured in GazaEntertainment
