United Auto Workers Threaten More Strikes Starting Friday If Negotiations Stall - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

United Auto Workers Threaten More Strikes Starting Friday If Negotiations Stall

The United Auto Workers are currently striking 41 facilities operated by Ford Motor, General Motors and Stellantis

JWPlayer

The United Auto Workers union plans to announce additional strikes against facilities operated by the Detroit Three on Friday unless serious progress is made in negotiations, according to Reuters.

The UAW's president, Shawn Fain, could reveal new strike targets in a Facebook Live scheduled for 10 a.m. ET on Friday. If new strikes are announced, workers would walk out of the newly-struck facilities at noon, a source told Reuters.

The union initially struck just three assembly complexes operated by Ford Motor Co., General Motors and Stellantis. Under the initial targeted strikes, some 12,700 autoworkers struck facilities producing the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler and Chevrolet Colorado.

Members of the United Auto Workers (UAW) pickett outside of the Michigan Parts Assembly Plant in Wayne, Michigan amid rumors that US President Joe Biden may stop by during his visit to Michigan to stand on the pickett lines with UAW workers in Detroit, Michigan on September 26, 2023.
More than 18,000 autoworkers are striking against Ford Motor, General Motors and Stellantis, demanding wage increases and quality of life benefits. Even more could walk on Friday.MATTHEW HATCHER/AFP via Getty Images

In a 10:00 a.m. ET Facebook Live last Friday, Fain announced that the UAW would expand its strikes to include 38 parts distribution facilities operated by GM and Stellantis. Earlier that week, the union threatened additional strikes would be launched if "serious progress" wasn't made in negotiations.

Last week, the UAW chose not to strike additional facilities operated by Ford, citing concessions the company had made regarding cost of living adjustments and temporary workers. It's unclear if Ford will be targeted by the union in the next announcement, Reuters reported.

More than 18,000 autoworkers are currently striking facilities operated by Ford Motor, General Motors and Stellantis.
More than 18,000 autoworkers are currently striking facilities operated by Ford Motor, General Motors and Stellantis.Anna Deen/The Messenger

The UAW and the Detroit Three remain divided on core issues, including wages and retirement benefits. The UAW's roughly 146,000 members' demands include 40% wage hikes, better retirement benefits, and the elimination of the automaker's two-tier wage system.

While the automakers contend that the union's demands are unreasonable and would cost the companies too much money, the UAW argues that these demands are deserved and necessary given the pay disparity between the rank-and-file and company executives.

A spokesperson for GM said the company will "need to see what is said on Friday." Representatives for Ford Motor Co. and Stellantis did not immediately respond to The Messenger's request for comment.

Businesswith Ben White
Sign up for The Messenger’s free, must-read business newsletter, with exclusive reporting and expert analysis from Chief Wall Street Correspondent Ben White.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our Business newsletter.