United Auto Workers Strike Against Mack Trucks, Reject Labor Contract
Nearly three-quarters of UAW autoworkers at Mack Trucks rejected the proposed deal
Nearly 4,000 autoworkers went on strike against Volvo Group's Mack Trucks on Monday morning, after a majority of United Auto Workers members voted against a tentative labor contract.
The UAW said on Sunday night that 73% of its members employed by the Greensboro, North Carolina-based Mack in three states — Pennsylvania, Maryland and Florida — voted against a contract agreed on last week. Those employees walked out of their factories at 7 a.m. ET on Monday morning, according to the union.
"I'm inspired to see UAW members at Mack holding out for a better deal, and ready to stand up and walk off the job to win it," UAW President Shawn Fain said.
The tentative contract provided a 10% general wage hike for all employees within the first year of the five-year contract, which would compound into a 20% pay raise over the life of the deal. It also included a $3,500 ratification bonus, the elimination of one step in the company's wage progression system and increased employer contributions to some employees' 401(k) retirement plans.
"We’re surprised and disappointed that the UAW has chosen to strike, which we feel is unnecessary," Mack said Sunday night. "The company clearly demonstrated its commitment to good faith bargaining by arriving at a tentative agreement that was endorsed by both the International UAW and the UAW Mack Truck Council."
Some 25,000 members of the UAW are engaged in targeted strikes against the Detroit Three automakers — Ford Motor Co., General Motors and Stellantis. On Sept. 14, roughly 146,000 autoworkers at the companies were left without a valid labor contract after negotiations broke down.
- United Auto Workers And Mack Trucks Avoid Strike With Tentative Deal
- Mack Trucks Autoworkers Get 19% Pay Raise In Tentative Contract
- Ford, GM Temporarily Lay Off 500 More Workers Amid United Auto Workers’ Strikes
- Biden to Deliver Remarks Addressing United Auto Workers’ Strike Against Automakers
- United Auto Workers and GM Agree To Tentative Deal, Ending Strikes
- Biden Administration Treads Carefully as United Auto Workers Threaten a Strike
Since then, the UAW has launched strikes against several facilities operated by each of the automakers. Autoworkers have staged walkouts at two Ford assembly complexes, two GM assembly complexes and one Stellantis assembly plant. Additionally, all 38 parts distribution centers operated by GM and Stellantis are also being struck.
UAW autoworkers employed by ZF Chassis System's Tuscaloosa, Alabama, facility also are on strike. Some 190 employees help at the facility make front axles used by Mercedes-Benz's plant in Vance, Alabama, which produces GLE, GLE coupé and GLS model SUVs.
When workers at Mack went on strike in 2019, they did so in the midst of a 46,000-worker national strike against GM, according to The Detroit Free Press. Those walkouts lasted for approximately two weeks, netting autoworkers pay raises and larger contributions to 401(k) plans, the Free Press reported at the time.
- Student Loan Servicers That Sent Late Bills to 758,000 Borrowers Get Slapped by the FedsBusiness
- Peloton Stock Surges on TikTok DealBusiness
- Boeing Wants FAA to Clear Smallest 737 Max Jet Despite Overheating ProblemBusiness
- Delta Is the Most On-Time US Airline for Third Year in a Row, Travel-Data Firm SaysBusiness
- Chinese Shadow Bank Files for Bankruptcy as Real Estate Crisis Racks NationBusiness
- The Life and Rise of Chip Wilson, Lululemon’s Controversial Billionaire FounderBusiness
- Where the Jobs Are: These Are the Sectors Doing the Most HiringBusiness
- Furious Customer Confronts Hapless McDonald’s Cashier Over Blue and White McChicken Wrapper, Claims It Shows Support for IsraelNews
- Exxon Mobil Joins Chevron in Blaming California for Billions in Asset ImpairmentsBusiness
- How to Claim Part of Verizon’s Proposed $100 Million SettlementBusiness
- What Did People Who Forgot a Present Do on Christmas Day? Pulled Out Their PhoneBusiness
- Tesla Recalls 1.6 Million EVs in China Over Autopilot Crash RisksBusiness