Disney Just Can’t Shake Nelson Peltz as He Goes After a Board Seat Again: Report
Trian, which has more than a $2.5 billion stake in Disney, is looking to fill several board seats, not just the one for Peltz, The Wall Street Journal reported
Activist investor Nelson Peltz is taking another run at The Walt Disney Company’s board of directors.
Last January, Peltz, who did not support the return of Bob Iger as Disney CEO, started a proxy fight against Disney.
In February, Peltz-controlled Trian Fund Management withdrew its nomination of Peltz to the board after Disney announced that it would be making changes to its organizational and operating structures to cut costs and increase profitability. At the time, Trian said in a statement that the decision would allow Disney leadership to “focus on creating long-term shareholder value without the distraction of a proxy contest.”
Now, Trian is once again looking to request several board seats, including one for co-founder Peltz, sources familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal.
Trian is one of the largest shareholders in Disney, holding more than $2.5 billion worth of shares in the entertainment giant — its stake jumped to more than 30 million shares, up from 6.4 million at the end of the second quarter, according to the Journal.
If Disney rejects Peltz’s bid, Trian is expected to put forward nominations during the Dec. 5-Jan. 4 nomination window, which will be voted on at Disney’s annual shareholder meeting in spring, sources told the Journal.
Peltz has served on the board of a handful of major consumer-goods firms, including Unilever, Mondelez International and Kraft Heinz. He has a net worth of $1.5 billion, according to Forbes.
- Disney Secures Support From ValueAct Capital in Proxy Battle With Nelson Peltz
- Two Hedge Funds Come to Disney CEO Bob Iger’s Rescue in Battle Royal With Billionaire Nelson Peltz
- Billionaire Investor Nelson Peltz Resigns From Jewish Human Rights Board That Called for Boycott of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream
- More Disney Drama Raises Questions about Bob Iger’s Second Turn on the CEO Hot Seat
- Disney Under the Gun as ex-Marvel Chief Hands Activist Control Over Millions of Shares
- Disney ‘Has Lost Its Way,’ Says Mouse House Former CFO
The sources told the Journal, however, that Trian believes Disney’s shares are significantly undervalued and that the company is in need of a more focused and accountable board that is aligned with shareholders. Disney’s shares are valued at $83.87 each, significantly down from highs of around $110 early this year.
Iger announced in August that Disney will begin cracking down on password sharing and raising the cost of ad-free watching of its flagship streaming service, Disney+, in a bid to boost the company’s profits.
Last month, Disney also announced that it would invest almost $60 billion in its parks, experiences and products division over the next decade — nearly doubling its investment into the sector compared with the prior decade.
Iger, a “boomerang boss,” returned to helm Disney in July after a seven month hiatus, and said he will remain in the role until 2026. He served as CEO and chairman of Disney from 2005 to 2020, and then as executive chairman and chairman of the board through 2021. Trian had been urging Disney to plan for a successor, the Journal reported.
Trian and Disney did not immediately respond to The Messenger's request for comment.
- Student Loan Servicers That Sent Late Bills to 758,000 Borrowers Get Slapped by the FedsBusiness
- Peloton Stock Surges on TikTok DealBusiness
- Boeing Wants FAA to Clear Smallest 737 Max Jet Despite Overheating ProblemBusiness
- Delta Is the Most On-Time US Airline for Third Year in a Row, Travel-Data Firm SaysBusiness
- Chinese Shadow Bank Files for Bankruptcy as Real Estate Crisis Racks NationBusiness
- The Life and Rise of Chip Wilson, Lululemon’s Controversial Billionaire FounderBusiness
- Where the Jobs Are: These Are the Sectors Doing the Most HiringBusiness
- Furious Customer Confronts Hapless McDonald’s Cashier Over Blue and White McChicken Wrapper, Claims It Shows Support for IsraelNews
- Exxon Mobil Joins Chevron in Blaming California for Billions in Asset ImpairmentsBusiness
- How to Claim Part of Verizon’s Proposed $100 Million SettlementBusiness
- What Did People Who Forgot a Present Do on Christmas Day? Pulled Out Their PhoneBusiness
- Tesla Recalls 1.6 Million EVs in China Over Autopilot Crash RisksBusiness
