Mark Thompson to Shift CNN’s Focus to Digital: Report
The company will also consider potential digital news acquisitions, sources told Puck
Mark Thompson is looking to give CNN the New York Times treatment.
Since taking the helm of the broadcast giant in October, Thompson has been working on a business plan that will go into effect next quarter to shift CNN’s resources into its digital platforms, Puck reported. Budget cuts, if they occur, could take place in other parts of the operation, sources familiar with the matter told the outlet.
The company will also consider potential digital news acquisitions, the people said.
The former Times chief, who oversaw the publication’s shift towards a multiplatform design during his eight-year tenure and had digital revenue quadruple and subscriptions grow almost 10-fold under his leadership, is now looking to breathe new life into CNN using the same strategy.
Thompson was brought on to reinvigorate the network after former CEO Chris Licht’s ouster in June, after a bruising profile by The Atlantic catalogued a series of public relations crises during his 13-month tenure, including a harshly criticized live CNN town hall with former President Donald Trump.
The network has struggled to find its footing in an evolving media landscape, after its first stab at streaming, CNN+, was shuttered just weeks after launching last year. In September, CNN launched its second foray by making live streams of its newscasts and other content available for subscribers of streaming platform Max.
As part of the plan, CNN will structure its news and journalism offerings around a multi-platform scheme, which includes digital, streaming and broadcast, according to Puck. The efforts will also be bolstered by subscription products in segments like health, travel and food.
- Can New CEO Mark Thompson Steady CNN?
- CNN Names Former New York Times CEO Mark Thompson to Run Network, Replacing Chris Licht
- Unilever Signals Shift in Sustainability Agenda to Focus on ‘Power Brands’
- NCAA President Shifts Focus to Employment Status of College Athletes During Senate Hearing
- Biden Campaign to Shift Focus on Differences With Trump as Former President Ramps Up Rhetoric: Report
- DeSantis Accepts CNN’s Invitation to Jan. 21 Debate
The disconnect between CNN and its audience has become a key point for Thompson and David Zaslav, CEO of CNN parent Warner Bros. Discovery, according to Puck.
While Fox News remains the top draw in cable news, a new report found
CNN had higher month-to-month audience growth than MSNBC and Fox News in October, gaining 32% in total primetime viewers compared to September. The network also averaged 600,000 total day viewers that month, making it the fourth most viewed channel basic cable that month.
Despite a healthy volume of viewers, CNN’s audience has become disengaged with the network’s content, as evidenced by the weak performance of King Charles, its new weekly show hosted by Gayle King and Charles Barkley.
But it’s not all doom and gloom for CNN — at least not according to Zaslav. “CNN is back,” Zaslav proclaimed at last Wednesday’s New York Times DealBook Summit.
- Student Loan Servicers That Sent Late Bills to 758,000 Borrowers Get Slapped by the FedsBusiness
- Peloton Stock Surges on TikTok DealBusiness
- Boeing Wants FAA to Clear Smallest 737 Max Jet Despite Overheating ProblemBusiness
- Delta Is the Most On-Time US Airline for Third Year in a Row, Travel-Data Firm SaysBusiness
- Chinese Shadow Bank Files for Bankruptcy as Real Estate Crisis Racks NationBusiness
- The Life and Rise of Chip Wilson, Lululemon’s Controversial Billionaire FounderBusiness
- Where the Jobs Are: These Are the Sectors Doing the Most HiringBusiness
- Furious Customer Confronts Hapless McDonald’s Cashier Over Blue and White McChicken Wrapper, Claims It Shows Support for IsraelNews
- Exxon Mobil Joins Chevron in Blaming California for Billions in Asset ImpairmentsBusiness
- How to Claim Part of Verizon’s Proposed $100 Million SettlementBusiness
- What Did People Who Forgot a Present Do on Christmas Day? Pulled Out Their PhoneBusiness
- Tesla Recalls 1.6 Million EVs in China Over Autopilot Crash RisksBusiness
