GM Sends Sixth Offer to Striking Autoworkers Union
GM filed for a $6 billion credit line on Wednesday to prepare for potentially prolonged labor stoppages
General Motors said Thursday it has made a sixth offer to the United Auto Workers just a day after the automaker filed for a $6 billion line of credit in preparation for a prolonged labor stoppage.
The automaker's latest counteroffer comes just days after the UAW rejected its last offer and sent back a new proposal on Monday, according to The Detroit Free Press. While the company is not providing details about its proposal, a source familiar with the latest offer said there has been movement "in a few key areas."
"We can confirm that we provided a counteroffer to the UAW's most recent proposal — our sixth since the start of negotiations," a spokesperson for GM told The Messenger in a statement. "We believe we have a compelling offer that would reward our team members and allow GM to succeed and thrive into the future."
At the time, the automaker said that its now-rejected Sept. 21 offer included "historic" wage increases and job security for the striking auto workers. Of the UAW's 146,000 members employed across the Detroit Three — Ford Motor Co., GM and Stellantis — some 46,000 are employed by GM.
In past proposals, GM has offered 20% wage hikes and increased retirement benefits; the company has also agreed to the elimination of wage tiers in its pay system, according to the UAW. But the union is demanding 30% to 40% wage hikes, traditional pensions reinstating and traditional cost-of-living adjustments, alongside a variety of quality-of-life measures.
UAW President Shawn Fain has previously called GM's offer on COLA "deficient."
Since the UAW strikes began on Sept. 14, some 25,000 autoworkers have been called to strike. Currently, some workers are striking against two Ford assembly complexes, two GM assembly complexes and one Stellantis assembly plant. Additionally, all 38 parts distribution centers operated by GM and Stellantis are also being struck.
- GM Is Hit With Strike by Canadian Autoworkers After Contract Negotiations Collapse
- GM Labor Deal With Union Autoworkers Ratified Despite Rocky Start
- Here’s Where Ford, GM and Stellantis Stand With Striking Autoworkers on Day 36
- GM Agrees to Tentative Deal With Autoworkers After Latest Strike at Its Largest Plant
- Ford Makes 7th and What It Deems ‘Strongest’ Offer to Striking Autoworkers
- Pot Shops and a Strip Club Are Among Those Offering Discounts to Striking Autoworkers
GM's Wentzville Assembly Plant in Missouri, which produces the GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Colorado pickups and the GMC Savana and Chevrolet Express full-size vans, and GM's Lansing-Delta Township in Michigan, which makes the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave SUVs, are being struck.
The automaker has laid off more than 2,100 workers across three facilities in Indiana, Ohio and Kansas, and idled its Fairfax Assembly Plant, which makes the Cadillac XT4 SUV and Chevrolet Malibu sedan.
On Wednesday, GM claimed it has lost $200 million since the strikes began and filed for a $6 billion credit line; Ford took out a $4 billion line of credit in August. Collectively, the Detroit Three have suffered $1.12 billion in losses since the strikes began, while autoworkers have missed out on $325 million in direct wages, according to the Anderson Economic Group.
- Student Loan Servicers That Sent Late Bills to 758,000 Borrowers Get Slapped by the FedsBusiness
- Peloton Stock Surges on TikTok DealBusiness
- Boeing Wants FAA to Clear Smallest 737 Max Jet Despite Overheating ProblemBusiness
- Delta Is the Most On-Time US Airline for Third Year in a Row, Travel-Data Firm SaysBusiness
- Chinese Shadow Bank Files for Bankruptcy as Real Estate Crisis Racks NationBusiness
- The Life and Rise of Chip Wilson, Lululemon’s Controversial Billionaire FounderBusiness
- Where the Jobs Are: These Are the Sectors Doing the Most HiringBusiness
- Furious Customer Confronts Hapless McDonald’s Cashier Over Blue and White McChicken Wrapper, Claims It Shows Support for IsraelNews
- Exxon Mobil Joins Chevron in Blaming California for Billions in Asset ImpairmentsBusiness
- How to Claim Part of Verizon’s Proposed $100 Million SettlementBusiness
- What Did People Who Forgot a Present Do on Christmas Day? Pulled Out Their PhoneBusiness
- Tesla Recalls 1.6 Million EVs in China Over Autopilot Crash RisksBusiness
