Disney CEO Iger Vows to Step Down in 2026 and Hangs a ‘No Sale’ Sign on ABC
In one of two appearances over the past two days, Iger said there were more problems than he expected in his second round as CEO
Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger vowed to "definitely" step down when his contract ends in 2026, Reuters reported. He also said at the New York Times Dealbook Conference on Wednesday that the ABC network in not for sale, according to the New York Post.
On Tuesday at a company town hall for leaders of Disney's business segments, Iger said he wants to shift the company's focus amid this year's drama. “I feel that we’ve just emerged from a period of a lot of fixing to one of building again, and I can tell you building is a lot more fun than fixing,” Iger said, according to CNBC. He was interviewed by ABC News anchor David Muir at New York’s Amsterdam Theater.
Iger, who returned to Disney’s helm last November following Bob Chapek’s two-year stint at the top, has faced a series of hurdles since he began his second turn in the CEO hot seat — from the Hollywood strikes, to sinking shares, a public face-off with Spectrum parent Charter Communications, the possible sales of several of its holdings and a current pair of box-office bombs.
“I knew that there were a myriad of challenges… I must say there were many more of them than I expected,” Iger said at Tuesday's town hall, The Wall Street Journal reported. But he plans to spend the next year building the “modern version of the Walt Disney Company.” He did not go into detail about possible efforts, according to the outlet.
In the last two years, Disney’s shares have fallen 38%. Its stock opened at $92.60 on Wednesday.
The Mouse House CEO said the entertainment giant is in talks with sports leagues and tech firms as potential partners for ESPN. BofA Global Research estimates that the sports network could be valued as much as $24 billion. Contenders for a stake in ESPN include the National Basketball Association, National Football League, Amazon, Apple, Verizon and Comcast, according to BofA.
Iger said, however, that ESPN doesn’t necessarily need partners to move forward, even as Disney attempts to offload some of its stake in the network. “We could go it alone. We are fully prepared to do that,” he said. “It would be a little more challenging if we did.”
- Disney Said to Be Exploring Sale of ABC to Nexstar
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Reportedly Taps Former Mouse House Execs as Advisors
- Bob Iger Will Stay On as Disney’s Boss Through 2026
- Byron Allen Says Bob Iger ‘Is Not Ready’ To Sell Disney’s ABC, Other Networks
- Disney Heiress Abigail Disney Calls Out Company’s CEO Bob Iger Amid Industry Strikes
- Disney Looks to Pare Back TV Holdings, Including ESPN and ABC News, CEO Says
Iger is also facing mounting pressure from activist investor Nelson Peltz and former Marvel Chair Ike Perlmutter, who was ousted after backing Peltz’s bid for a board seat earlier this year. Peltz backed down from his “proxy contest” after the company announced that it would be making organizational changes to increase profitability but is reportedly seeking more seats for himself and other execs of his Trian Fund Management.
Among criticisms of Iger’s Disney are its faltering movie business. This month, Disney saw disappointing performances on the silver screen with "Wish" and "The Marvels." Iger said that the company’s movie business is a top priority for its brand.
“When it comes to creating a perception of the company, nothing is more powerful than movies,” Iger said. “That’s perception among investors, perception among the audience, obviously consumers and also perception among our own employees.”
This story has been updated.
- Student Loan Servicers That Sent Late Bills to 758,000 Borrowers Get Slapped by the FedsBusiness
- Peloton Stock Surges on TikTok DealBusiness
- Boeing Wants FAA to Clear Smallest 737 Max Jet Despite Overheating ProblemBusiness
- Delta Is the Most On-Time US Airline for Third Year in a Row, Travel-Data Firm SaysBusiness
- Chinese Shadow Bank Files for Bankruptcy as Real Estate Crisis Racks NationBusiness
- The Life and Rise of Chip Wilson, Lululemon’s Controversial Billionaire FounderBusiness
- Where the Jobs Are: These Are the Sectors Doing the Most HiringBusiness
- Furious Customer Confronts Hapless McDonald’s Cashier Over Blue and White McChicken Wrapper, Claims It Shows Support for IsraelNews
- Exxon Mobil Joins Chevron in Blaming California for Billions in Asset ImpairmentsBusiness
- How to Claim Part of Verizon’s Proposed $100 Million SettlementBusiness
- What Did People Who Forgot a Present Do on Christmas Day? Pulled Out Their PhoneBusiness
- Tesla Recalls 1.6 Million EVs in China Over Autopilot Crash RisksBusiness
